Dental implants are a popular and effective solution for missing or damaged teeth. As a trusted dental clinic based in Edinburgh, Comiston Dental offers high-quality dental implant services to help patients achieve a healthy and beautiful smile. In this blog post, we will discuss the basics of dental implants and why they are a great option for those in need of tooth replacement.
What are Dental Implants? Dental implants are artificial tooth roots made of titanium that are surgically placed into the jawbone. Once the implants have fused with the jawbone, they provide a stable base for supporting a crown, bridge, or denture. This means that dental implants look, feel, and function just like natural teeth.
Why Choose Dental Implants? Dental implants offer several benefits over other tooth replacement options, such as bridges and dentures. These benefits include:
- Durability: Dental implants are designed to last for many years, with proper care.
- Comfort: Because dental implants are anchored in the jawbone, they provide a stable base for the replacement teeth and do not slip or move like dentures.
- Natural appearance: The crown or bridge that is attached to the dental implant is custom-made to match your existing teeth, making the implant look and feel like a natural tooth.
- Improved oral health: Dental implants do not rely on neighboring teeth for support, so they do not affect their health.
- Better speech: Dentures can sometimes slip, causing speech difficulties. With dental implants, there is no risk of slippage, ensuring clear speech.
How Dental Implants Work Dental implants are typically a multi-step process that involves:
- Consultation: During your initial consultation with Comiston Dental, our dentist will examine your mouth, teeth, and gums to determine if dental implants are a good option for you.
- Surgery: During the surgery, the dentist will place the titanium dental implant into the jawbone.
- Healing: After the surgery, the jawbone will need time to heal and fuse with the implant. This process usually takes several months.
- Placement of the abutment and crown: Once the implant has fully healed, the dentist will place an abutment and custom-made crown onto the implant.
Conclusion Dental implants are a great option for those in need of tooth replacement. With their durability, comfort, natural appearance, improved oral health, and better speech, they are a worthwhile investment in your oral health. If you are interested in dental implants, contact Comiston Dental to schedule a consultation. Our experienced and friendly team will work with you to determine if dental implants are the right solution for your needs.